So summer is officially here! We are two days into our first week of summer vacation and for now, I am working from home, meaning I am spending all day with Lil Monkey ... All. Day. That absolutely means, that I have to include lots of activities to keep him busy.
Today we decided to make a special treat, it helps with math and measurements, something he is good at but has not interest in. A tough combination, but we are looking for ways to make it fun for him.
I'd seen some variations on rice crispy snacks and when we went grocery shopping yesterday, I got some stuff and today we played!!
So the recipe was pretty basic ..
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1 c. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 c. Rice Chex (we used HEB squares)
- 1/3 c. peanut butter
- 6 oz. chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Heat to boiling, then lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add peanut butter stirring until mixed.
- Quickly mix rice squares and chocolate chips together in large bowl and pour heated mixture over and stir until mixed.
- Drop by spoonfuls on wax paper.
Side note ... the peanut butter mixture was really cool. Lil Monkey thought it was cool ...
Until our next cup of tea ...